Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sharp

The most exciting thing happened yesterday. Well, exciting for me in my non-exciting life. The knife sharpening guy was stationed at my craft store so I brought all of my knives in for a professional sharpening for the first time and let me tell you, it was like bringing new knives home again. It's exciting for me, but the best part was that I brought my poultry shears for sharpening. You see, when my grandmother (who we call Mama) moved into a senior apartment and gave all of her cooking supplies, to my aunt, this was one of the things that I just had to have. They have to be 60-70 years old and they are strong and working still. As a child and a teen I remember the distinctive smell of a roasting chicken in mama's home that had simply white wine, salt and pepper for seasoning. She taught me how to make one her way which I do to this day. So each time I prepare a chicken and use her shears, it reminds me of mama.

No comments: