Monday, April 26, 2010

Another Road

It's a funny story really, and one that as a crafter looking to find my direction, as I've been lost for sometime, it's quite ironic and something that I really needed. It was risky and at this point I was ready for it.  I walked into The Road Less Traveled to deliver some more crocheted stainless water bottle covers to the owner, Delilah a couple months back. We started talking and somehow it came up in conversation that I started sewing again. She said wait a minute, come here and left the room. I followed. She walked to a shelf with a whole lot of antique lace and when I say antique, it was truly that! And beautiful. See above and below. Above is actually more ecru but my camera wanted it white for some reason.
Petticoat eyelet lace pieces and some that where whole petticoats. I just stood there. She blasted all of these amazing ideas at me of how she'd love pieces of these sewn onto this and that and......... I just stood there thinking that there is no way I'd want to cut these things up and I don't even know if my sewing skills are good enough. What if I ruin it? But I took them home with me and said I'd consider it. So for weeks I looked at the lace, each with it's own story. You could see where they were repaired multiple times as if that's all that person owned.  I looked closer. There were holes in some areas. I began taking pieces apart very carefully listening to each story that was told. I respected each stitch and promised to waste none. I also promised to keep portions together if possible and will use them for skirt panels perhaps. I promised.
So with these petticoat pieces I utilized vintage buttons and buckles to achieve designs that would show off the beauty of the lace.
And also show off the designs within the lace.

Here is a top that has a buckle. The sleeves are vintage hankies. 


This top has a vintage button and a vintage buckle with the petticoat lace.  The skirt is a simple cotton drawstring skirt that I made and also made this removable petticoat lace overskirt that is attached all the way around with buttons. 


So now I guess I have a upcycled clothing line in a store. I would never had dreamed this even 3 months ago. See. You never know what road you'll take or who will guide your path. Thanks Delilah!

2 comments:

delilah said...

i love the photos!! these look great!
i will repost on my blog too-thank you!
PS apply to patchwork!

Hello there! My name is June said...

I love it when you don't know where the creative path will take you & you have a lovely surprise at the end of your journey!

The photos are great!