Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Favorite Ghost Town

The old school house, now an artist gallery and studio space
Jerome, AZ has been my favorite place ever since I was in high school. It's the largest ghost town in America. Once a busy mining town, now a fabulous place to visit for a day trip or even a nice weekend.

An old Safeway sign preserved but it's a boutique now

I love it for the old architecture and the photo ops. Surprises are around every corner.


I stayed a night in Jerome recently and was pleased to see that it has more life, but the old is still preserved. It's a very successful destination spot with quaint hotels, wine bars, restaurants, boutiques, and a wonderful artist presence throughout.




Jerome has got such character and quirkiness that during our early morning walk around town we could really stop and admire.


And for me, it was great to see that what was left of old hotel was still protected because I took this same exact picture when I was in high school. And I took it again 2 weeks ago.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so close to Prescott and yet I didn't see you (snif, snif...teardrop rolling down my cheek. it looks like you had fun...i love jerome, too!

Victoria said...

I've never been there but it looks lovely! How amazing to see building repurposed like the school house- love that type of thing!