Thursday, December 01, 2011

Nuts and Bolts Box DIY

I was inspired to make this decorative box after seeing the below picture of a resin box on The Foundary. The best part? It was practically free. 

 The resin box from The Foundary that inspired me was priced at $29.
I started with a wood balsa box that held sea salt caramels I purchased for a recipe for Thanksgiving. I removed the labels and it was a perfect canvas for my project.
Then I scoured the garage for various nuts, screws, and bolts of all kinds. Shhh. Don't tell my husband.
 I started randomly glueing the hardware onto the box using a glue gun after spray painting the top.
Spray paint primer is awesome for this project, because it not only primes the wood and metal, but it's also the paint that I used for the project. It results in a matte finish which is pretty classy.

 Here's the finished box. Pretty interesting as a little decorative item, don't you think?
So, a practically free project that took minimal time. What's not to like? And just think of the possibilities. Boxes hold holiday candy and cookies, or you probably have any box laying around the house. Don't like the hardware? Think of other items you could use: rubberbands, beads, rocks. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination. What makes it interesting is using the same type of item in multiples.

1 comment:

Gulsah said...

This is really cool. I am not a nuts and bolts kind of gal but your project and execution made me think of other materials I could use for the box lid. This is very very cool.