Friday, June 08, 2012

Beet Salad Recipe: Reinventing Perfection


I ate a beet salad at Anepalco's Cafe recently and haven't forgotten that memorable first course. I was inspired by the salty, sweet, and nutty all together on that plate that I wanted to create my own version of this beet salad at home. And I don't even LIKE beets. Or, not until now.
Their version had boiled beets of which I'm not a fan of the texture so my version has raw beets.
Their version had roasted peanuts. Mine has pecans.
Their version had a Mexican Cotija cheese which adds the salty. I chose to use feta.
Both versions have jicama which adds the sweet and crunchy.

Ingredients

1 raw beet peeled and cut in 8 pieces
1/4 jicama peeled and grated
1/8 cup chopped pecans
1/8 cup feta cheese


Arrange on plate with feta first, then the beets and nuts. And finally the jicama. Try to gather a little of either on your fork to get the flavor combinations. You'll change your mind about beets too!

No comments: